UC IRVINE DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY
IDA596 - Solicit, Accept, or Execute Certain Extramural Research, Training, and Public Service Contracts and Grants
November 7, 2017
ASSOCIATE VICE CHANCELLOR–RESEARCH ADMINISTRATION
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR–APPLIED INNOVATION
DIRECTOR–INDUSTRY SPONSORED RESEARCH
INDUSTRY CONTRACT OFFICERS
RE: Delegation of Authority - Solicit, Accept, or Execute Certain Extramural Research, Training, and Public Service Contracts and Grants
The authority delegated to chancellors in Presidential Delegation of Authority DA 2569, April 19, 2012, to solicit, accept, or execute certain contracts and grants for research, scholarly or professional training, or for public service programs relating either to research or to scholarly or professional training, including the signing of related documents as necessary, is redelegated as set forth below, subject to all conditions and limitations in the delegation to the chancellor.
This delegation includes the authority to determine the necessity for review, legal sufficiency, and compliance with university policies.
This delegation specifically excludes gifts as defined in the Review of Gifts and Grants for Research policy issued by the President in July 1980. Solicitation and acceptance of gifts is covered in UCI Delegation of Authority IDA 562, dated June 12, 2015 [superseded by IDA 619, dated August 27, 2019].
The following definitions are provided to clarify these delegated authorities.
- Industry-Sponsored Research Agreement: A contract or grant to UCI from a business/for-profit entity, but excluding contracts and grants for clinical trials.
- Incoming Industry-Sponsored Subawards: A subaward to UCI under another entity’s prime contract or grant where the funding either originates with, or passes through a business/for-profit entity, but excluding subawards for clinical trials.
The authority to solicit, accept or execute Industry-Sponsored Research Agreements and Incoming Industry-Sponsored Subawards is delegated to the following positions as indicated below:
|Executive Director–Applied Innovation||$5,000,000 direct costs in any one project year|
|Director–Industry Sponsored Research||$4,000,000 direct costs in any one project year|
|Industry Contract Officers||$3,000,000 direct costs in any one project year|
This authority may not be further redelegated.
The vice chancellor–research and the associate vice chancellor–research administration may accept or execute awards in accordance with the following:
- Up to $10,000,000 in direct costs in any one project year for contracts and grants where UCI is the prime awardee and the prime sponsor is a federal or State of California agency;
- Up to $10,000,000 in direct costs in any one project year for subawards from higher education institutions or a State of California agency for which the source of funds is an award from a federal or State of California agency; or
- Up to $5,000,000 in direct costs in any one project year for all other contracts and grants (including those from private sources) not specified in a. or b. above except that this delegation specifically excludes Industry-Sponsored Research Agreements and Incoming Industry-Sponsored Subawards.
This authority may be redelegated only by the vice chancellor–research, who shall determine the level of authority and any associated limitations beyond those already imposed above; however, any redelegations shall be no less restrictive than this delegation and must be processed in accordance with UCI Sec. 103-12: Delegation of Authority and Signature Authorization Guidelines.
This delegation supersedes Chancellor Drake’s May 4, 2012, delegation of authority, IDA 537, on the same subject.
|cc:||Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Associate Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Assistant Vice Chancellor–Accounting and Fiscal Services
Office of Campus Counsel