PERSONNEL PROCEDURES FOR UC IRVINE STAFF MEMBERS
Procedure 22: Probationary Period
Responsible Office: Human Resources
Issued: November 2002
Personnel Policies for Staff Members
B. Authority and Responsibility
The authority and responsibility for implementing the probationary period policies and procedures rests with the department head and the Assistant Vice Chancellor, Human Resources or the Assistant Medical Center Director-Director, Human Resources.
A probationary employee is an employee in a career position who has not completed the probationary period.
- Supervisors are encouraged to provide regular feedback to employees concerning work performance and general suitability for University employment during the probationary period.
- An employee who has satisfactorily completed the probationary period shall be informed in writing of the attainment of regular employee status. (See Sample Letter: Completion of Probationary Period.)
- Timing of Written Evaluations
- The supervisor shall conduct a written evaluation of each probationary employee at least once prior to completion of the probationary period.
- In addition to this evaluation, the supervisor may conduct a written evaluation at any time there is a question concerning the quality of an employee's performance or general suitability for University employment.
E. Extension of Probationary Period
- Under appropriate circumstances as noted in Personnel Policies for Staff Members, Policy 22F, Extension of Probationary Period, or other substantial changes in job duties or completion of work or training cycles, the employee's probationary period may be extended with the approval of the department head. Consultation between the supervisor and the Human Resources consultant is encouraged.
- Such an extension shall be for a specific period of time not to exceed three months.
- Extension beyond three months, for a total period not to exceed six months, requires the written approval of the Human Resources consultant.
- Normally, at least seven calendar days prior to the end of the probationary period, the supervisor shall provide the employee with a written notice outlining the reason(s) for the extension and the period of the extension. The notice shall specify the new date of completion of the probationary period. (See Sample Letter: Extension of Probationary Period.)
Professional and Support Staff, except employees who are in a bargaining unit that has an exclusive representative (union) and are covered by the applicable provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.
Sample Letter: Completion of Probatinary Period
RE: Completion of Probationary Period
In accordance with Personnel Policies for Staff Members, Policy 22, this is to inform you that effective date, you have satisfactorily completed your probationary period for University employment, and have attained regular status in your appointment as payroll title.
Thank you for your contributions to department thus far, and I look forward to continuing to work with you in the future.
c: Department Head
Sample Letter: Extension of Probationary Period
RE: Extension of Probationary Period
In accordance with Personnel Policies for Staff Members, Policy 22, this is to inform you that your probationary period for University employment is being extended for a period of _______________ months. The reason(s) for this extension is(are) _______________. The new date of completion of your probationary period will be _______________.
If you have any questions regarding this action or would like to discuss the reasons for this action, please let me know.
c: Department Head