PERSONNEL PROCEDURES FOR UC IRVINE STAFF MEMBERS
Procedure 61: Release During the Probationary Period or From Limited, Casual/Restricted, and Floater Appointments
This UCI Personnel Procedure is being revised.
Please contact your Human Resources Business Partner for guidance and
REFER TO POLICIES FOUND AT UCNET PERSONNEL POLICIES FOR STAFF MEMBERS.
Responsible Office: Human Resources
Issued: November 2002
Personnel Policies for Staff Members
B. Authority and Responsibility
The department head is responsible for approving release of employees during the probationary period or from limited, casual/restricted, and floater appointments. Consultation with Human Resources is recommended piror to taking any action.
- Supervisors are encouraged to consult with Human Resources prior to taking any action.
- With the approval of the department head, supervisors may release limited, casual/restricted, floater, and probationary employees.
- Written notice of the release is provided to the employee on or before the release date. (See Exhibit A.)
- A limited, casual/restricted, or floater employee is automatically terminated as of the last day of the appointment, unless there is an earlier separation or formal extension of the appointment in writing.
- An employee who becomes ineligible to hold a casual/restricted position due to a change in student status may not continue to fill that position.
Staff members, except Senior Managers and employees who are in a bargaining unit that has an exclusive representative (union) and are covered by the applicable provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.
Procedure 61: EXHIBIT A
Sample Letter: Release of Limited, Casual/Restricted, Floater, and Probationary Employees
RE: Release from (Limited, Casual/Restricted, Floater or Appointment during Probationary Period)
This is to inform you that effective _______________, you are released from your position of _______________. This action is taken in accordance with Personnel Policies for Staff Members, Policy 61, Release During the Probationary Period or From Limited, Casual/Restricted, and Floater Appointments.
Please contact _______________(Benefits Representative) at 824-____ to discuss the important options available to you regarding your benefits.
You may be eligible for Unemployment Insurance. Details and an application for unemployment benefits may be obtained from the local office of the California State Employment Development Department (EDD).
c: Department Head
Human Resources Consultant