UC IRVINE ADMINISTRATIVE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Physical Environment and Properties
Sec. 905-40: Policy on Non-Research Animals on Campus
Responsible Administrator: Chief of Police
Revised: February 2016
References / Resources
- City of Irvine, Code of Ordinances, Title 4 - Public Safety, Division 5 - Animal Regulations
- Regulations Governing Conduct of Non-Affiliates in the Buildings and on the Grounds of the University of California
- UCI Administrative Policies and Procedures
- Section 905-41, Guidelines for Reporting Animal-Related Issues
Contact: UCI Police Department at (949) 824-5223
Non-research animals are restricted on the UCI campus. This restriction supports the University's efforts to provide a safe work, learning, research, and patient care environment. It also helps minimize the health risks and fears of members of the campus community and aids the maintenance, appearance, and cleanliness of campus facilities.
This policy complies with City of Irvine regulations and applies to animals on the Irvine campus. Violations may result in disciplinary action.
Animal-related issues should be reported to the UCI Police Department:
- Emergencies: 911
- Non-emergencies: (949) 824-5223
In general, animals are prohibited in campus buildings, athletic fields or parks with the following exceptions:
- Animals used, or intended for use, in teaching, research, and testing activities that have been reviewed and approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
- Service animals that assist persons with disabilities
- Therapy animals used to support in-patient care programs
- Animals used by the Police Department or in search and rescue activities
- Fish aquariums not used in research or teaching
- Animals for which an exception has been made (see F.)
C. Animals in Housing
D. Animals on University Property
While on University property, animals must be restrained and under the control of a person at all times. Anyone bringing an animal onto University property will be responsible for the proper care, feeding, and recovery and disposal of waste from their animal. Animals may not enter research animal facilities or laboratories without prior permission of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee and a campus veterinarian.
Any animal found unattended in or on any campus facility may be impounded. Owners of an impounded animal will be held responsible for payment of any impound and/or license fees required to secure the release of their animal.
F. Exceptional Approval
Under certain circumstances, the Associate Vice Chancellor, Administrative & Business Services, may make an exception to this policy.