UC IRVINE ADMINISTRATIVE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Business and Financial Affairs
Sec. 700-11: Guidelines on Subpoena, Subpoena Duces Tecum, and Deposition Subpoena
Responsible Office: Environmental Health & Safety and Risk Services
Revised: December 2017
References / Resources
- UC Business and Finance Bulletin
Contact: Campus Risk Services at (949) 824-6200 or Medical Center Risk & Regulatory Affairs at (714) 456-5676
A. Accepting a Subpoena, Subpoena Duces Tecum, and Deposition Subpoena
- Any person serving a subpoena, a subpoena duces tecum, or a deposition subpoena on:
- The Regents;
- the University of California, Irvine;
- the custodian of records by name or title; or
- a UCI department or an office
- Under no circumstances will an employee open any files or records in answer to a subpoena or deposition subpoena unless directed to do so by an authorized individual.
- If a subpoena is served on an individual to appear as a witness, then that individual should be prepared to appear as ordered. If the case surrounding the subpoena involves UCI, the medical center, or the UC Regents, immediately notify campus Risk Services at (949) 824-6200 or medical center Risk & Regulatory Affairs at (714) 456-5676 that you have been served and by whom. Note the date and time service took place.
Subpoenas are issued by an officer of a court or an attorney of record in a case and served on a named individual, department, or office. There are three types of subpoenas:
CAMPUS - Authorized Personnel
- Student Health Services for student health records only.
Jeanie Deakyne (949) 824-1913 Crystal Kohl (949) 824-9634
- Risk Services for all other campus records, including personnel, payroll, workers' compensation, and student records.
Nida Niravanh (949) 824-6510 Quyen Levan (949) 824-3257 Chris Taylor (949) 824-8772
UC IRVINE MEDICAL CENTER - Authorized Personnel
- Medical center Medical Records Office, FHC-Santa Ana, Gottschalk Medical Plaza, Westminster Medical Plaza, FHC-Anaheim:
Medical records offices accept subpoenas for patient medical records only.
- Medical Center Risk & Regulatory Affairs: for all other Medical Center or School of Medicine physician records, personnel, payroll, UCI Workers' Compensation and for all Subpoenas, Search Warrants, Small Claims, and Summons & Complaints involving the Medical Center faculty and staff. Responsible for all governmental (eg. FDA, FBI, CMS. CDPH, DHS) or law enforcement investigative inquiries to the Medical Center.
Legal Subpoena Desk (714) 456-5676, option #1
CHANCELLOR'S OFFICE - Authorized Personnel
- Persons serving subpoenas should NOT be directed to the Chancellor's Office for service. Only in the case of an emergency should specific staff in the Office of Campus Counsel be contacted.
Kyhm Penfil (949) 824-2880 Peter Schneider (949) 824-8343
For questions, contact campus Risk Services at (949) 824-6200 or medical center Office of Risk & Regulatory Affairs at (714) 456-5676.