Policies & Procedures


Section 1

Business and Financial Affairs

Materiel Management - Property Inventory Control System

Sec. 706-20: Disposal or Transfer of University Equipment - Procedure

Responsible Office: Purchasing & Risk Services
Revised: March 2017

References / Resources

Contact: Equipment Manager at (949) 824-6111

A. Sold or Traded in Equipment

University-owned equipment and supplies may be offered for sale or trade in by Equipment Management. The term "sold equipment" applies to University owned equipment sold to external agencies. It does not apply to equipment transferred to another department or campus. The term "traded in equipment" applies to University equipment which has been traded in on the purchase of new equipment. When inventorial equipment is to be traded in on new equipment, the University property number of the traded in item should be stated on the Purchasing requisition. The subsequent purchase order should include the property number identifying the traded in item and the trade-in allowance. Equipment Management uses the purchase order as its source document to delete traded in equipment for the inventory records. The University's title to equipment purchased with funds from federal awards is conditional. Details and procedures to sell, move or transfer equipment purchased with funds from federal awards are maintained by UCI Sponsored Projects Administration.

B. Destroyed or Discarded Equipment

On written notification from a department chair that an item of equipment has been damaged or destroyed beyond repair or is no longer useful and is being cannibalized, it may be removed from the inventory records. Written approval of the campus administrative officer to whom the Chancellor has delegated authority to control equipment must be secured prior to discarding or abandoning equipment.

C. Lost or Stolen Equipment

Custody departments shall forward a completed Equipment Inventory Modification Request (via a Kuali Financial System (KFS) CAM Asset Retirement Global document) to Equipment Management to report all missing equipment, regardless of circumstances (lost, stolen, unlocatable, etc.). When theft is suspected, departmental personnel are advised to notify the Campus Police by telephone as soon as possible. A police report number should be included on the EIMR if one has been assigned.

D. Campus Equipment Transfer

  1. Interdepartmental Transfers

    University-owned equipment may be transferred between departments without charge, or with charge if mutually agreeable to both departments. No change is made in the recorded value of the equipment in the inventory records. Such equipment transfers may be reported to Equipment Management on an EIMR form (via a KFS CAM Asset Transfer document), the releasing department's verified and signed equipment inventory listing, or other documents that provide the information required - property number, description, name of the department receiving the equipment, and new location. It is recommended, however, that a representative of the receiving department acknowledge the transfer by countersigning the document used.

  2. Intercampus Transfers

    University-owned equipment which is permanently transferred from one University campus to another is reported to Equipment Management by the transferring department on an EIMR form (via a KFS CAM Asset Transfer document). The equipment is disposed of by the Equipment Management Office of the transferring campus. The transfer is reported to the receiving campus Equipment Management office by an EIMR form (via a KFS CAM Asset Transfer document). The information entered on the form should include a list of the items being transferred by property number, description, value, and the name of the department receiving the equipment.

E. Transfer of University-Owned Equipment Acquired Under Extramural Projects to Other Institutions in Connection with Transfer of Principal Investigator

Certain extramurally-funded property may be transferred to other institutions with transferring Principal Investigators and projects. Details and procedures are maintained by UCI Sponsored Projects Administration, and can be found in UC Business and Finance Bulletin, BUS-38, V. D and the Uniform Guidance Use and Disposition of Federally Funded Equipment Quick Guide.

F. Surplus/Excess Property

Each campus is responsible for disposing of excess, obsolete, or scrap material and equipment owned by or in the custody of the University. Donations of University-owned property are prohibited except under certain circumstances and with appropriate approvals. All disposals must be conducted according to University policy and guidelines (see BUS-38). Property no longer needed must be reported to the Equipment Management Department prior to disposal. Individuals are not allowed to dispose of University property without the approval of the Equipment Manager or designee.

  1. Procedure
    1. Inventorial excess property should be reported to Equipment Management for approval and processing by using an EIMR form (via a KFS CAM Asset Retirement Global document). Non-inventorial excess property, such as cell phones, tablets, laptops, desktop computers, recharge cables, and other electronic devices that were purchased, or reimbursed using University funds or extramural contracts and grants awards funds, must be reported to Equipment Management on memoranda by submitting a request for free pick-up of surplus property or e-waste using the Surplus Pick-up Request form. Descriptive information sufficient to determine the function, condition, and usefulness of the item should be provided for advertising purposes. Supplementary information sheets, manuals, manufacturer pamphlets, data on maintenance, selling price, person to contact, etc., should be provided when available.
    2. Usable equipment (current equipment in good operating condition or requiring economical repairs) is made available to other University departments prior to being offered for sale outside the University.
    3. Items not acquired by other University departments are made available to other educational institutions within the state, or offered for sale to the general public, employees, or used equipment dealers. University regulations prohibit employees buying excess property originating from their departments.
    4. Individual items sold for $100 or more from the Excess and Salvage Unit are subject to a service charge of 45 percent of the sales price plus direct costs. The proceeds from sales of units for less than $100, and from lot sales and items requiring long storage periods (90 days or more) are credited to the Excess and Salvage expense account.
    5. It is highly recommended that disposing departments retain items of significant market value and special purpose or complex items throughout the advertising and sales period. The Excess and Salvage Unit is essentially a "salvage yard" without protection from the elements and without the plant, utilities, and personnel to display and demonstrate valuable property. The sales potential and value of laboratory, computing, and other highly specialized equipment is generally much higher when the equipment is retained in its operating environment and when personnel familiar with its operation, capabilities, history, etc., are available for explanation and demonstration to prospective buyers. Furniture, relatively new and in good repair, is also worth more when held by the disposing department until sold. Most of the proceeds from sales of excess property retained by disposing departments is returned to departmental budgets. Equipment Management's service charge for assistance, advertising, billing, etc., normally does not exceed 5 percent of sales price plus direct costs.
    6. Sales hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays, 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.; other hours by appointment. Call 824-6100, 824-6519, 824-6447 or 824-6111. Peter's Exchange is located at 19182 Jamboree Road, Irvine, CA 92697.
    7. Because of the potential health hazards involved, certain items should not be sent to the North Campus Salvage Yard. Departments should contact EH&S for safe disposal of these items: laboratory refrigerators, freezers, general-purpose refrigerators, refrigerated centrifuges, mattresses, lab monitors, computer monitors, televisions, and any equipment containing radioactive or hazardous materials.
  2. Transportation

    Campus departments releasing or buying excess property are responsible for transporting it to or from the Excess and Salvage Unit or between departments.

    The Facilities Management Moving Crew 824-5536 is available on campus to assist with departmental transportation needs on a reimbursable basis or complete a Surplus Pick-Up Request form for pick-up.

    Departments are requested to provide Equipment Management an advance listing of property to be transported to the Excess and Salvage Unit.