UC IRVINE ADMINISTRATIVE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Sec. 800-20: ZotMail Guidelines
Responsible Office: Office of Information Technology
Revised: April 2023
References / Resources
- University of California
- UCI Administrative Policies & Procedures
Contact: Office of Information Technology at (949) 824-2222 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A. Purpose and Scope
ZotMail is a web-based messaging system used to transmit authorized official business messages to selected groups of employees, students, and affiliates at UCI. Official business messages include official University and campus business memos, announcements, newsletters, and publications.
Zotmail enables authorized administrators, including staff in the offices of the Chancellor, Vice Chancellors, and Deans to send messages to desired groups using a password protected interface.
B. Responsibilities and Authorities
- OIT is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the ZotMail system. For assistance contact OIT at (949) 824-2222 or email@example.com. When sending an email, include 'ZotMail' in the subject line.
- UCI has a Google Groups service, also managed by OIT, which provides a topical/listserv environment.
- The Chancellor, the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor, and some other officials can use the ZotMail system to reach the entire UCI community as part of the emergency communication plan.
- Employees, students, and affiliates can use their UCInet ID and password on a web interface to manage their subscriptions. Messages deemed mandatory will be sent regardless of subscription settings.
Communication teams within departments and schools are responsible for their own communications records retention. The ZotMail system is the mechanism through which messages may be sent, but OIT is not responsible for records retention. Messages are permanently deleted from the ZotMail system after two (2) years.
C. ZotMail Recipient Lists
New employees (career, limited, contract), students and affiliates are added to appropriate ZotMail recipient lists as soon as they have a valid email address. They are automatically subscribed to all owner accounts.
D. ZotMail Use Guidelines
Senders should respect recipients by using the most directly related mailing list to avoid unnecessary network traffic and unwanted messages. Each ZotMail message should be created with the accessibility best practices to ensure everyone can consume it.
- Announcing Campus Activities and Events
- The preferred vehicle for announcing activities and events is CampusGroups.
- If ZotMail is used to announce an activity or event, the message must be sent outside of the regular work day (after 6:00 p.m.).
- Sending duplicate or reminder messages is prohibited. The only exception is if the second message is required to correct an error in the first message.
- Sending reminder messages is prohibited.
- Messages sent on behalf of registered student organizations must have written approval from the Vice Chancellor-Student Affairs.
- Content Restrictions
Electronic messages must adhere to all University policies. No materials delivered through the ZotMail system shall:
- advocate an individual's or organization's political or religious position;
- imply University or campus endorsement, support, or opposition to a political, religious, or civic issue, or any non-University products, service, organization, or activity that has not been appropriately authorized by the Chancellor or designee (a copy of the authorization shall be sent to the ZotMail Communications Coordinator); or
- be of a commercial nature that solicits, or would provide, personal and/or financial profit to a University employee or to a profit-making organization.
- Student Government Guidance
- Authorized elected officers of Associated Students of UCI (ASUCI) and Associated Graduate Students (AGS) are permitted to submit requests to communicate via UCI ZotMail about legislative actions that represent the official business of the governing body.
- This official communication shall be related to the officers' responsibilities as representatives of the student body.
- Use of UCI ZotMail for personal communications is prohibited.
- Use of UCI ZotMail for candidates campaigning for student government elections is prohibited.
- Each incoming student government administration shall attest to its understanding and adherence to the guidance presented herein.
- ZotMail Guideline Review
- To ensure the continued effectiveness and relevance of this guideline, a review group shall meet to evaluate the guideline on an annual basis, or more often if needed.
- The review group shall include representatives from Student Affairs, Strategic Communications & Public Affairs, and the Office of Information Technology.
E. ZotMail Assistance
For assistance and general ZotMail support:
The ZotMail team provides support and training to individuals authorized to send ZotMail from owner accounts.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with 'ZotMail' in the subject line; or
- Call OIT at (949) 824-2222.