Absence From Work
Procedure 45: Military Leave
This UCI Personnel Procedure is being revised.
Please contact your Human Resources Business Partner for guidance and
REFER TO POLICIES FOUND AT UCNET PERSONNEL POLICIES FOR STAFF MEMBERS.
Responsible Office: Human Resources
Revised: May 2012
Personnel Policies for Staff Members
B. Authority and Responsibility
- The employee is responsible for giving advance verbal or written notice (when possible) of the need for the leave, including a copy of the military orders, when applicable.
- The department is responsible for:
- Determining whether the employee has satisfied the requirements for being paid for the leave; e.g., months of service and length of leave(s) requested, or whether the leave will be charged to accrued sick leave, vacation leave, or compensatory time off, or will be without pay.
- Reinstating the employee upon return from the leave.
- Verifying the employee's military orders.
All staff members, except employees who are in a bargaining unit that has an exclusive representative (union) and are covered by the applicable provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.