PERSONNEL PROCEDURES FOR UC IRVINE STAFF MEMBERS
Procedure 23: Performance Appraisal
Responsible Office: Human Resources
Revised: November 2004
Personnel Policies for Staff Members
Personnel Procedures for UCI Staff Members
- Procedure 22, Probationary Period
B. Authority and Responsibility
Vice Chancellors, the Director-UCI Medical Center, and the Dean, College of Medicine, have authority and responsibility for coordinating the annual performance evaluation process and shall develop implementing procedures for their units. These procedures should include:
- Steps to ensure communication between managers, supervisors, and employees regarding issues of performance.
- Compliance with Personnel Policies for Staff Members and campus procedures for all evaluations completed within the unit. Managers and supervisors should be evaluated on their compliance with University policy and UCI campus and coordinating point procedures.
- Communication of evaluation rating results to the coordinating point for merit determination.
- Maintenance of performance evaluations in departmental/unit files.
- An annual evaluation of the performance evaluation process within the unit and modification of implementing procedures, as necessary.
- The employee's immediate supervisor, in consultation with the next higher level of management, is responsible for performing employee evaluations in accordance with the procedures developed by the appropriate Vice Chancellor, the Director-UCI Medical Center, or the Dean, College of Medicine.
C. Guidelines - Probationary Employees (see Procedure 22)
- Supervisors are encouraged to provide regular feedback to employees concerning work performance and general suitability for University employment during the probationary period.
- The supervisor shall conduct a written evaluation of each probationary employee at least once prior to completion of the probationary period.
- In addition to this evaluation, the supervisor may conduct a written evaluation at any time there is a question concerning the quality of an employee's performance or general suitability for University employment.
D. Guidelines - Regular Status Employees
- The performance evaluation process should include:
- Planning at the beginning of each evaluation period to review the employee's job responsibilities and establish individual performance objectives.
- Development of supplemental performance standards, as appropriate.
- Periodic meetings to discuss and reassess performance objectives and the employee’s progress.
- Plans for enhancing professional development goals.
- A performance evaluation discussion between the supervisor and employee, utilizing the appropriate performance evaluation form, including an evaluation of established performance objectives and performance standards, and, when appropriate, supplemental performance standards for supervisors. This discussion should also include the initial communication between the supervisor and employee regarding performance objectives and/or standards for the coming year.
- Preparation of a written performance evaluation to be given to the employee for signature (and comment, if desired). Performance evaluations should be reviewed by at least one higher level of management to ensure compliance with policy and procedures.
- Communication with the employee regarding merit increases.
- A copy of the completed and signed evaluation provided to the employee.
- All original written performance evaluations shall be forwarded to the employee's home department for placement in the employee's general file.
All staff members, except employees who are in a bargaining unit that has an exclusive representative (union) and are covered by the applicable provisions of the collective bargaining agreement.