UC IRVINE ADMINISTRATIVE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Physical Environment and Properties
Buildings and Grounds: Banners
Sec. 900-32: Guidelines for the Design and Placement of Banners on the UC Irvine Campus
Responsible Administrator: Associate Chancellor - Strategic Communications & Public Affairs
Revised: April 2018
References / Resources
- Regulations Governing Conduct of Non-Affiliates in the Buildings and on the Grounds of the University of California
- UC Policies Applying to Campus Activities, Organizations, and Students
- Section 42.20, Posting of Noncommercial Materials
- UCI Administrative Policies & Procedures
Contact: Strategic Communications & Public Affairs: (949) 824-6922
A. Purpose and Scope
- apply to Pole banners and Bridge banners displayed on the UCI campus; and
- do not apply to posters, flyers and signage that are addressed in Sec. 900-12: Policy on Posting and Distribution of Literature and Materials.
B. Definitions and Specifications
- Banner – Printed material attached to campus property.
- Pole banner – Printed material attached to campus street poles and walkway light and utility poles.
- Street Light Pole Banners must be 34" wide, and between 84" and 96" tall.
- Walkway Pole Banners must be 18” wide and 38” tall, secured top and bottom with a banner pole. Banners near a pedestrian through-way must be 7’ from the ground to the bottom of the banner to allow unobstructed pedestrian traffic. Alternately, banners must be placed facing away from pedestrian traffic, or over hedges or other obstruction that separate pedestrian through-ways. Facilities Management Sign Shop will provide templates at the time of reservation.
- Bridge banner – Printed material attached to the exterior of an on-campus pedestrian bridge.
- Bridge banners are permitted on the five primary pedestrian bridges on campus (Student Center, Humanities, Mesa Arts Building, School of Medicine, Palo Verde-Middle Earth). Although each bridge has two locations on each exterior side, only one banner per bridge may be reserved. UCI Facilities Management Sign Shop will provide bridge banner templates at the time of reservation. Bridge banner design and content is subject to additional restrictions.
- Approved locations – Poles and bridges that have been determined by UCI Facilities Management to be suitable for Banner display.
- Pole banners and Bridge banners may be displayed only on Approved locations and must be installed and removed by UCI Facilities Management. Use of outside entities is not permitted.
- Banner Display Period Limits:
- For Banners promoting events:
- Pole banners are restricted to a maximum 12 weeks prior to the event; and
- Bridge banners are restricted to a maximum 4 weeks prior to the event.
- General Banner display:
- Bridge banners are restricted to a maximum of 6 weeks due to general weather conditions/wear-and-tear.
- Exceptions to the above based upon demand for use of the area and/or significance of the Banners to the University.
- For Banners promoting events:
- UCI Facility Management determines whether the location and condition of a pole is suitable for Banner display. Factors that render poles unsuitable include, but are not limited to, effects on pedestrian and vehicular safety, foliage obstruction, and other permanent signage.
D. Scheduling of Approved Locations
The UCI Facilities Management Sign Shop is the office designated to monitor Banner placement, adherence to guidelines and policies, and to manage the calendar for all Pole and Bridge banner Approved locations on campus. Facilities Management Sign Shop will provide maps of available Banner locations upon request.
- The Associate Chancellor, Strategic Communications & Public Affairs has authority to prioritize posting of:
- Pole banners on Approved locations on campus streets, the Ring Mall Road, and in Aldrich Park (including the inner ring road).
- Bridge banners on the exterior of pedestrian overpass bridges on campus.
- Deans, or their authorized designees, have authority to prioritize posting of pole banners on all Approved locations adjacent to their school's buildings that are not on campus streets, the Ring Mall road or in Aldrich Park.
E. Reservations and Fees
- Reservations are open to UCI business units with departmental approval and Registered Campus Organizations (to be made by signatories registered with Student Affairs).
- Banner reservations begin annually for the upcoming academic year on August 1st. First come-first serve. Pole banners are limited to a maximum of 30 locations, unless prior authority granted by the Associate Chancellor, Strategic Communications & Public Affairs for designated campus wide initiatives.
- UCI business units and registered campus organizations should schedule the posting of Pole banners and Bridge banners with the UCI Facilities Management Sign Shop.
- To make a reservation, contact UCI Facilities Management Sign Shop at (949) 824-4871 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reservations should be placed a minimum of four weeks prior to desired time slot. Additional lead time (from days to weeks) may be required for Banner fabrication, depending on quantity.
- Banner reservations will be held for five working days. A completed Online Work Request (OWR) with a valid recharge account number, or other payment mechanism, is required to complete a reservation for banners. Unless an OWR is completed within five days, the reservation will be canceled.
- The fabrication, installation and removal of Banners is a fee-for-service activity. Users will be charged based on the services provided, such as fabrication costs, location(s), and number of Banners. Estimates are available from the UCI Facilities Management Sign Shop.
F. Content, Specifications and Design
- All Banners are subject to content restrictions as stated in Sec. 900-12: Policy on Posting and Distribution of Literature and Materials.
- All Banners must conform to the University's style guidelines. Strategic Communication & Public Affairs has a list of acceptable-use content. Department or business unit-specific iconography and wordmarks can be incorporated into Banner layouts with the approval of Strategic Communications & Public Affairs.
- UCI Strategic Communication and the UCI Facilities Management Sign Shop are available to assist with design and fabrication respectively:
- UCI Strategic Communications & Public Affairs must design Banners to be displayed on the Ring Mall, in Aldrich Park and on street poles.
- UCI Facilities Management Sign Shop provides fabrication services and business units are encouraged to get an estimate from the UCI Facilities Management Sign Shop for fabrication and compare to off-campus options.